Ever since former Balenciaga Artistic Director Alexander Wang claimed he was leaving the French Maison earlier this summer, the job has perhaps become the most coveted job in the fashion world, given that Balenciaga is one of the most powerful fashion house.
Yesterday, Balenciaga officials in Paris released a statement intoducing their newest Artistic Director, Demna Gvasalia, one of the creative designers of anonymous fashion label, Vetements. Demna has gained his experience as leading the design teams at Maison Margiela and Louis Vuitton. His debut collection for Balenciaga would be for Fall/Winter ‘16/17.
Here are 5 things you probably didn’t know about Demna Gvasalia:
- He studied at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, Belgium, whose alumni consist of Dries Van Noten and Ann Demeulemeester, to name a few.
- He is a Creative Designer of Vetements; a label formed by 7 anonymous designers who can’t reveal their identity for because of contractual obligations.
- He headed the design teams at Louis Vuitton and Maison Martin Margiela previously.
- He was a finalist for the LVMH Young Fashion Designer Prize.
- He showcases his first collection for Balenciaga in Paris for Fall/Winter ’16/17.
By Pavan Premaney